Recipe: Dark Chocolate Superfood Bars
- Summer Sanders
- May 29 2014
- 0 comments
I was so inspired the other day by another blogger, Sophie of Whole Hearted Eats. Her photos are gorgeous and her food is healthy and looks very tasty. As I read her blog, I got super inspired and had to hit the kitchen to create these yummy superfood treats. They’re vegan, grain free and damn tasty.
Dark Chocolate Superfood Bars
- 4 tbsp. almond butter
- 8 dates, pitted and chopped
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1/2 cup of 85 percent dark raw chocolate
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/2 cup coconut shreds
- 1/3 cup goji berries
- Cinnamon to taste
- In a bowl, combine almond butter, chopped dates and sea salt. Mix well.
- Line a small bread pan with parchment paper. Press the mixture into the bottom of the pan to create an even layer of about 1/2-inch thick.
- Sprinkle the dark chocolate, chopped almonds, coconut and goji berries on top. For an even saltier, sweeter taste, top with a drizzle of honey (not vegan) or coconut syrup and more sea salt.
- Bake in a 300-degree oven until coconut browns and chocolate melts (about 10 minutes). Let cool, cut and freeze, or eat the bars warm.
Summer Sanders has long had a passion for holistic health and fitness. Growing up in Sedona, Arizona, her love of fresh foods, natural healing and fitness was nurtured by this forward thinking community. She trained at the Matthew Kenney Academy and eventually took a job as the head instructor of the online raw food educational program.
Summer now runs a whole food cleansing and health consulting company called Radiantly Raw Lifestyles. She is a certified personal trainer, weight management coach, prenatal exercise coach, and fitness nutrition specialist with National Academy of Sports Medicine. Summer splits her time between San Diego, CA and Sedona, AZ with her husband Mike. She's expecting her first child in October!