Make These Gluten-Free Apple Crumble Muffins
- Editors of FitBump
- Dec 12 2015
- 0 comments
Celebrate Gluten-Free Baking Week (December 14–20) with these delicious gluten-free and vegan apple crumble muffins. They are perfect for holiday breakfasts (hint, hint), but will do the trick on almost any day.
Gluten-Free Apple Crumble Muffins
Ingredients for the muffins
- 2 flax eggs (Directions at right)
- 1 medium ripe banana, mashed
- 1 cup apple sauce
- 1 chopped apple (Use a food processor or Cuisinart. We like to leave the skins on for more fiber.)
- ½ cup almond milk
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1½ tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour (we like Cup4Cup)
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
Ingredients for the crumble topping
- ¼ cup raw sugar
- 5 tbsp. gluten-free flour
- 2 tbsp. vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 375° F and lightly grease a standard size muffin tin.
- To make 2 flax eggs: In a large mixing bowl combine 2 tbsp. ground flax seed and 4 tbsp. water. Let sit for 5 minutes to thicken.
- Add the banana, almond milk, vanilla, applesauce, olive oil and brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the baking soda, salt, oats and flour.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients being careful to not over mix.
- Fold in chopped apples and walnuts.
- Divide batter evenly among 10 to 11 muffin cups, filling each ¾ full.
- Add crumble ingredients in a small bowl and mash ingredients together with a fork until crumbly (a consistency similar to wet sand). Top muffins with the mixture.
- Bake for 17 to 22 minutes, or until tops are golden brown and a knife comes out clean. Let cool in the tin for a few minutes. Remove muffins from tin and serve.