Recipe: Easy Sautéed Winter Vegetables with Lemon and Mustard
- Editors of FitBump
- Jan 14 2015
- 0 comments
To kick off the New Year on the right foot, you need delicious recipes that pack more of a nutritional punch than all of the cookies you've been eating for the past few weeks.
Here’s a recipe that highlights some of our favorite winter veggies and is easy to throw together for a quick weeknight meal. The lemon-and-mustard sauce, however, makes it taste anything but ordinary.
Cauliflower, Brussels Sprouts and White Beans with Lemon and Mustard
- 1 medium cauliflower
- 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water, stock or drained cooking liquid from the accompanying grain (optional)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and quartered
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- Suggested grain for serving: quinoa (1/2 to 3/4 cup per person)
- Yield: 4 servings
- Quarter and core the cauliflower, then slice thin so that it falls apart into small, thin pieces.
- Whisk together the mustard, lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and water or stock in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add the cauliflower and brussels sprouts and cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are seared and beginning to soften.
- Add salt and pepper and continue to cook, stirring or tossing (as you would a stir-fry) for another 5 minutes or until the cauliflower and the brussels sprouts are just tender and flavorful.
- Add the beans, dill and lemon-mustard mixture and stir together for another minute or two. Season to taste and remove from the heat. Serve with quinoa or another grain of your choice.
Recipe adapted from The New York Times