Make These Banana-Nut Hemp Muffins
- Editors of FitBump
- Feb 02 2015
- 0 comments
The classic banana-nut muffin is hard to beat. Muffins, however, aren’t always the healthiest breakfast picks. (A typical one can weigh in at more than 450 calories and nearly 20 grams of fat.) These gluten-free vegan versions add hemp hearts, which are nutritional powerhouses packed with fiber, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids and a full array of essential amino acids—great news for those eating a mainly plant-based diet. Get baking.
Banana-Nut Hemp Muffins
- 1-1/2 cups gluten-free flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. Himalayan sea salt
- 1 tbsp. hemp hearts
- 3 medium-large ripe bananas, mashed (or whipped in a blender)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp. water; let mixture set before adding to batter)
- 1/3 cup organic coconut oil or olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and hemp hearts. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the bananas, maple syrup, almond milk, flax egg and oil. Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture and combine until smooth. Fold in nuts. Distribute the batter evenly in the muffin tin. Sprinkle each muffin with hemp hearts.
- Bake muffins in preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow them to cool slightly before removing from the pan.